Africa Yoga Project
While Evolution supports many charitable organizations throughout the year, the Africa Yoga Project is one that is near and dear to our hearts.
About Africa Yoga Project
The teachings and practice of yoga, the original inspiration and foundation for the Africa Yoga Project organization, continue to be the primary vehicle for our work. Yoga has empowered millions of people across the world by supporting physical, mental, and emotional health, facilitating authentic personal expression, building supportive communities, and inspiring positive action to contribute to others. We are dedicated to delivering all that yoga has to offer to the diverse communities of East Africa, while at the same time providing opportunities for members of the global yoga community to participate and contribute.
We connect those who want to make a difference by sharing their skills and strengths to those who can benefit from that teaching. The exchange is usually mutual and contributes equally to all. Individuals are empowered, relationships are forged, communities are healed both emotionally and physically, and new possibilities are seen and made real.
AYP’s core activities on a weekly basis include yoga practice, meditation, self-exploration through inquiry, performing arts as a vehicle for empowerment, health education (HIV/AIDS), relationship building, and community activism. All programs are designed to increase physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing on the individual level while also building healthy and empowered communities.
How We Support
- A portion of our Community Classes and Fundraising events help raise the money needed to continue the services and training they provide.
- We encourage our teachers to mentor AYP teachers via phone calls and skype. Our teachers also travel to Africa
- AYP teachers teach at our studio when in the US or over livestream
- Lisa is an original board member
- Lisa has co-taught Teacher Training in Africa